Icy Adventures

Well, let's just say that the adventures continue here in Maryland! I really could create a comedy routine detailing the last few days. We have been experiencing weather warnings...that in itself is a strange novelty to me. Since when does the weather dictate the day's events? Since I moved to MD that's when! I have now learned the definition of "liberal leave", I've experienced the excitement/terror of walking on ice and hearing the deafening cracks underneath me, and I'm slowly learning that I can't just start my car and drive away. There's a thing called "warming up your car." This morning, we postponed the beginning of the Pastors College class until 10:30 am. Well, snow novice that I am, I waltzed (or rather slipped!) out to my car, expecting to drive away. Ha! Not even an ice scraper (another strange gadget I'm growing accustomed to) would make a dent. We are talking 1/4" of ICE on my entire car!!! You can see some of the pix...and you will believe me that I'm not being dramatic. I honestly just started laughing as I called my boss and told him I would eventually be there. As the ice melted, it cracked loudly and I proceeded to beat my car, trying to remove the ice. I really was a spectacle in my neighborhood as I gingerly tried to walk around my car, laughing and beating ice off my windshield. Can we say morning workout? :) Oh the many adventures I am having!! I do see a comedy routine in my future...(hopefully I won't find a youtube video chronicling my morning...how humiliating would that be?) 

Comments

Jen said…
I love how you write! So descriptive I feel like I'm right there with you in your winter wonderland:)
Megan said…
Ah yes my friend it was an interesting morning :-)
Mama V said…
I love your picures and posts, dear friend!!! Can't wait to catch up!!!
Don’t worry, in no time, you’ll be an old hat at it! In 93 we had a series of a week long of ice storms! And in 2003 we got 18 inches of snow in a matter of hours…wait til that happens to you! Then you can trade stories with your parents and grandparents about snow!!!! (Although, I’m sure Alaska was worse!) Warming up your car is VERY important, and it’ll help melt the snow off faster. All reports suggest we are in for a harsh winter….and January is ALWAYS our lightest month…I’m thinking in either late Feb or early March, we’ll get a BIG Snow Storm….watch out for the storms that come from the south, they are ALWAYS way worse then those that come from the North…

In 2001 we got (in NJ) a blizzard where 24 inches fell within 12 hours…it was a Saturday, and since the Bank doesn’t close on Weekends, and I was the teller manager – I had to go in….while driving on my way (about a 15 min. drive on normal days), I had to stop every 5 minutes to CLEAR MY CAR OFF!!!! Clear it off, while driving on the road, that’s how fast it was coming down… And to top it off, this was on a main BUSY street, although the street wasn’t busy at the time….it was just me and other people stopping and clearing our cars off….it was ridiculous…luckily, I always carried a snow shovel in my car’s trunk, so when the bank closed at 10am (we opened at 9), we were able to use my shovel to dig everyone out!!!

Also…day before a storm, everyone rushes to the grocery store to buy milk, bread, and eggs…it’s weird… Enjoy your snow adventures!!!!
Oh...and watch out for Nor'Easters, they always bring the most storm...in 2006 DC and Baltimore got a foot of snow, but ALSO thundersnows...(just like what it sound like, a thunderstorm but with snow and no rain...).
sorry...the most snow...they always bring the most snow...

Popular Posts