Reflections from a shut-in

Can't say I've ever called myself that before. But that's what I've been this past week! I came down with the worst flu I ever remember getting and have literally been in my house for a solid week. It's not been fun. It's been rough. I desperately miss human interaction. Today I'm home once again, but I'm on the mend. And for that I'm grateful! But you know what? My Savior has sheperded me this week, and I've learned some things along the way. #1 - The Lord cares for me. Truly! Living alone, getting sick and not being near family can be hard. But you know what? The Lord cared for me so tenderly. I didn't lack anything. And most importantly, I was aware of His comforting presence and rested in that (Well some of the time...other times I complained and balked at having to stay home...thank you, Lord, for your patience with me). So grateful that His care is not dependent on my perfect responses. #2 - He knows my frame, that I am but dust. There's something about being completely unable to even cope physically. Reminds me that I'm nothing more than dust. Unable to help myself. Entirely dependent. And there is sweetness when I embrace that. #3 - He ordains my days. I wasn't too thrilled about spending day after day hacking up a lung and just trying to make it through each day. I had my share of impatience this week. I really missed being at work...I missed the people God has called me to serve....I missed being in on the action called life. And I was stubborn in my desire to be so. But the Lord has been slowly showing me through this week that He ordains my days. I must embrace what He's called me to each and every day - including sick days! when I cease striving and cease being impatient, there is such sweet rest to be found in this embracing. #4 - The Lord uses people to embody practically his love for me. I was blown away by the care I received this week...daily texts to see how I was, emails saying folks are praying, dear friends who brought me groceries and medicine and then forcefully insisted on doing a Redbox movie run for me the next day, bosses at work who cared more that I recovered than about the work I wasn't doing (and literally had to force me from coming into the office...so grateful for forceful care!), and I could go on. I experienced community and care unlike what I've known in a long time. And with each very kind gesture, I could hear the Lord reminding me "You're not alone." I'm amazed as I reflect on how the Lord used His Body to care for me! So there you have it. Musings from a shut-in. I can't wait to be back up and around and "back in the action." And yet, there is a sweetness I have found this week that I'm still treasuring. The nearness of my God in my weakness. His care for me. Rest in Him.

Comments

Aaron said…
Hey - you're a great writer! Thanks for sharing with us how God has met you in this difficult weak of weakness.

I pray he will meet you with healing soon!!

your friend,

Aaron

Popular Posts