Lay it down
What were you talking about?
Can you fathom Jesus asking you this question, right on the heels of an intense argument? Oh the sting. The remorse. The sudden desire to hide. Suddenly the light of life has just turned on a floodlight. Darkness exposed.
The disciples had been arguing about who would be the greatest. Of all the things they could have been discussing after Christ had just foretold his coming crucifixion and resurrection. This was a stunning passion pronouncement. Were they marveling about the glory of Christ? Dialoguing about how these amazing events would unfold? Um, no. They were arguing about who among them was most important.
As I listened to C.J. Mahaney this morning, expounding on Mark 9, I was struck. Oh I saw myself walking down that road. I saw myself silenced by the Lord of Glory, as He oh so gently asked this piercing question - What are you talking about? What is dominating your heart? Gulp. Selfishness suddenly revealed, I see my vile heart in this account.
Of all the glorious excellencies I could be pondering -- the limitless power of my God, the amazing beauty of His creation, the astounding reality of his love for ME - the one who was his enemy....Instead I'm often preoccupied with myself and my pathetic grasping for significance.
Oh the Savior gently adjusts the disciples, and through this account in Mark 9:33-37, He gently adjusted me this morning as I sat in my seat. He redefines greatness. You want to be first? Be last. Be a servant of all. True greatness is expressed in humility and service.
Oh I want to have eyes for the passed over. A heart that seeks out those who are not being pursued by others. Those who sit on the fringe. That is my Savior's heartbeat. He pursued me when I was unlovely, running far from Him. Oh I want a heart that longs to serve, not impress others.
As I begin this week, I hear the words of Christ echoing in my mind -- What are you talking about? What is in your heart? Is it your own glory? Are you trying to impress those around you, trying to make much of your own name? Lay it down, my child. Follow me. Become last. Give your life away.
Only because of Christ's reaching down to me, serving me as only He could, dying in my place, becoming my righteousness, rising again as the seal of His redemption - only because I am an amazed, redeemed sinner can I now, in His power, lay my life down.
Can you fathom Jesus asking you this question, right on the heels of an intense argument? Oh the sting. The remorse. The sudden desire to hide. Suddenly the light of life has just turned on a floodlight. Darkness exposed.
The disciples had been arguing about who would be the greatest. Of all the things they could have been discussing after Christ had just foretold his coming crucifixion and resurrection. This was a stunning passion pronouncement. Were they marveling about the glory of Christ? Dialoguing about how these amazing events would unfold? Um, no. They were arguing about who among them was most important.
As I listened to C.J. Mahaney this morning, expounding on Mark 9, I was struck. Oh I saw myself walking down that road. I saw myself silenced by the Lord of Glory, as He oh so gently asked this piercing question - What are you talking about? What is dominating your heart? Gulp. Selfishness suddenly revealed, I see my vile heart in this account.
Of all the glorious excellencies I could be pondering -- the limitless power of my God, the amazing beauty of His creation, the astounding reality of his love for ME - the one who was his enemy....Instead I'm often preoccupied with myself and my pathetic grasping for significance.
Oh the Savior gently adjusts the disciples, and through this account in Mark 9:33-37, He gently adjusted me this morning as I sat in my seat. He redefines greatness. You want to be first? Be last. Be a servant of all. True greatness is expressed in humility and service.
Oh I want to have eyes for the passed over. A heart that seeks out those who are not being pursued by others. Those who sit on the fringe. That is my Savior's heartbeat. He pursued me when I was unlovely, running far from Him. Oh I want a heart that longs to serve, not impress others.
As I begin this week, I hear the words of Christ echoing in my mind -- What are you talking about? What is in your heart? Is it your own glory? Are you trying to impress those around you, trying to make much of your own name? Lay it down, my child. Follow me. Become last. Give your life away.
Only because of Christ's reaching down to me, serving me as only He could, dying in my place, becoming my righteousness, rising again as the seal of His redemption - only because I am an amazed, redeemed sinner can I now, in His power, lay my life down.
Comments