Forget Not
Man, sometimes life can overwhelm. The sheer emotion of it all. Maybe constant change has been here to stay. Just when you adjust to a new facet, another wave of change hits you and knocks you off your feet. Or maybe, the lack of change is the problem. "This trial just won't ever end" you cry. "My life will ALWAYS be like this...I don't see a solution in sight." I've felt both of these at different times.
This morning, we were so helpfully taught from Psalm 103. Our pastor exhorted us to regularly rehearse God's faithfulness. Our souls need it. We need to be regularly reminded of the truths of God's goodness to us. As I sat and listened to Psalm 103 and heard the admonitions to regularly rehearse, I was struck. So often, what looms large in my heart and in my mind - the things I fixate on continuously - are me, my and mine. My problems. My concerns. My desires. And yet in the midst of this fixation on self, Christ calls me to rise out of this dark tunnel of introspection and remind myself of what He has accomplished on the cross. To find my heart's satisfaction in Him. He is more. His mercy is more. It's stronger than any trial I am walking through. It's surer than any fear that is whispering in my ear. It is larger than any concern that I am carrying.
He is deserving! And yet it's so easy to forget. I wake up each morning, focused on my self, complaints often in my heart. I simply have to stop and remind myself of truth. To marinate in His Word. To readjust my vision. This war to remember. To never forget. To talk to myself daily. This is the most important battle I face each and every day that I wake up. Oh may I never forget the inexhaustible riches of Christ.
"Forgetfulness buries in our hearts the innumerable benefits of God." - John Calvin
Praise the Lord! His mercy is more. Stronger than darkness, new every morn. My sins, they are many, His mercy is more. (Matt Boswell/Matt Papa)
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all of his benefits. Psalm 103
This morning, we were so helpfully taught from Psalm 103. Our pastor exhorted us to regularly rehearse God's faithfulness. Our souls need it. We need to be regularly reminded of the truths of God's goodness to us. As I sat and listened to Psalm 103 and heard the admonitions to regularly rehearse, I was struck. So often, what looms large in my heart and in my mind - the things I fixate on continuously - are me, my and mine. My problems. My concerns. My desires. And yet in the midst of this fixation on self, Christ calls me to rise out of this dark tunnel of introspection and remind myself of what He has accomplished on the cross. To find my heart's satisfaction in Him. He is more. His mercy is more. It's stronger than any trial I am walking through. It's surer than any fear that is whispering in my ear. It is larger than any concern that I am carrying.
He is deserving! And yet it's so easy to forget. I wake up each morning, focused on my self, complaints often in my heart. I simply have to stop and remind myself of truth. To marinate in His Word. To readjust my vision. This war to remember. To never forget. To talk to myself daily. This is the most important battle I face each and every day that I wake up. Oh may I never forget the inexhaustible riches of Christ.
Praise the Lord! His mercy is more. Stronger than darkness, new every morn. My sins, they are many, His mercy is more. (Matt Boswell/Matt Papa)
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all of his benefits. Psalm 103
Comments